Praying doesn’t matter, Praying with results matters. If your prayers are not making the impossible possible, bringing heaven to earth and scaring hell then you need to change your praying. Mostly everyone prays but only a few pray with results because we ignore the foundations of prayer which are laid down in the best manual on prayer-The Bible. Just Moving your mouth is not prayer. Moving Heaven, hell and earth is prayer. If you don’t get hold of the foundations of prayer, you can pray till your hair turns grey but won’t see any results.
Two realms of prayer:
Prayer can be divided into two realms: The Realm of Hanging out with God and The Realm of Praying to God. Prayer has everything to do with you hanging out with God and little to do with asking God for “stuffs”. Prayer is not banging on Heaven’s door. Prayer is entering Heaven through the blood of Jesus, sitting on Daddy’s lap and talking with Him. If you don’t master Hanging out with God, you will score nothing in the realm of praying to God. The Major part of my prayer life, that is more than 90% is about Hanging out with God, Loving God, Going Deeper in God and Drawing Close to God. Focus on Hanging out with God and you will automatically master the art of praying out to God.
Foundations of Prayer:-
- Nature of God: God is a Good Dad. You don’t have to beg Him or impress Him. He loves you because He is Love. He takes care of you because you are His child. He gives Good gifts to His children because Love gives. You don’t have to shout or beat your body or make unwanted gestures to make Him answer your prayers. He is Good and is always working for your Good. He wants to answer your prayers; it is either you or the devil whom you let in, standing in your way and preventing you from receiving your answers.
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28(NLT)
- Faith: The order of Prayer is “Pray, Believe and then Receive”. Believing comes before receiving. God answers Faith not a good vocabulary. People want to receive first and then believe but prayer doesn’t work that way. God is God, you are not and He decides how prayer works. You pray and You believe that what you prayed for is done and then, only then you will receive. If you are waiting to see whether He will answer, you will never receive. Just believe…Faith is not thinking God will answer somewhere, someday. Faith is believing that it is done. You have to believe that is done before the answer manifests, only then you will receive the answer. Faith that moves mountains is a faith free from doubt and fear. Cut off doubt and fear by spending time in God’s presence and in God’s word.
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it(Believe that it is done or God has answered), and it will be yours. Mark 11:24(NIV)
- The Right way to Pray: Prayer must be directed to God the Father in the name of Jesus, with the Help of the Holy Spirit. Many say that we can pray to Jesus and ask what’s wrong in it. I don’t know what’s wrong in it but Jesus said “Ask the Father in my Name”. I will stick with what my Big Brother says about prayer. We have access to God only through Jesus, so we go to God in prayer in the Name of Jesus which can be said like this- We are going before God with Jesus’ recommendation or it can be said that When we pray in Jesus’ name it is as if Jesus is praying to God.
At that time you won’t need to ask me for anything(This is Jesus telling us that we don’t have to ask Him) , for you can go directly to the Father and ask him, and he will give you what you ask for because you use my name. John 16:23(TLB)(Emphasis Mine)
- Complete Dependence on the Holy Spirit: A body is dead without the spirit. Prayer is dead without the Holy Spirit. We don’t know WHAT to pray; only the Holy Spirit knows. We know “How to pray” (To the Father in Jesus’ name) but certain times we don’t “What to pray for”. We need the Holy Spirit to help us pray and for that you need to develop a deep friendship with Him.
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know “what” we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26(NKJV)
- Will of God: Prayer must be in accordance with God’s will for it to be effective. The Bible will give you the General will of God and the Holy Spirit will give you the Specific will of God. Study the Bible and Know the General will of God, Learn to Hear the Voice of the Spirit to know the Specific will of God and pray accordingly. John 15:7 gives two keys to answered prayers: Engage with God and Engage with His Word, then you will get your prayers answered. You may think-“Why should I pray in accordance with God’s will and not my own will??”. God’s will is Good for us than our will because we have been infected by a dangerous virus called STUPIDITY. Praying to God based on the Promises of God will take you into a Power-packed prayer life. If God promised something, He will do it for sure. If it is His Will, there will be a strong assurance in your heart when you pray that He will answer. Find out His Will. Search for His Promises.
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. 1 John 5:14, 15(NIV)
- Prayer is conditional: Different prayers have different conditions. You can pray till you have 5 children but there won’t any answer, if you don’t meet the required condition. You must fulfill the required condition along with your prayer. For Ex, take Matthew 6:33. If you want God to take care of you, praying is not enough. You must meet the condition of putting God and His Kingdom first in your life, only then everything you need will follow you.
Seek first God’s kingdom and what God wants. “Then” all your other needs will be met as well. Matthew 6:33(NCV)
Hindrances to prayer:-
To have a powerful prayer life, it is enough to know the basic foundations of prayer but you must also know the hindrances to answered prayer. I will just list them here:
- The triplets- Doubt, Unbelief, Fear. (James 1:6)
- Lack of perseverance.
- Demonic blockage. (Daniel 10)
- Not meeting the specific condition.
- Not expecting an answer from God.
- Complaining and Grumbling to God and not Praying.
- Wrong, selfish motives. (James 4:3)
Shoot all these hindrances down to have a effective prayer life. Don’t show any mercy.
Now, don’t just pat yourself saying I have read a post on prayer but put everything you have learned into practice. Don’t just pray, pray right. Start changing the way you are praying. Let your prayers make the impossible possible. Let your prayers bring heaven to earth and shake hell. Ask and it will be given…C’mon, Pray….
- The Secret behind the Church’s Failure
- An Unusual Woman, who didn’t care about her Hair