Speaking in Tongues has gone through a lot of abuses and oppositions because of intellectual and demonic interpretation of the Bible. It’s time to tear down the veil…
(Before you proceed further take time to read my post on Spirit Baptism to gain a foundation for what am going to teach here-http://holyspiritrevolution.com/redigging-the-pentecostal-experience/)
Speaking/Praying in tongues:
Tongues is speaking in a language unknown to the speaker as the Holy Spirit gives utterance or words. Holy Spirit doesn’t speak in tongues, He gives the utterance or words and you speak it out. Tongues can be divided into two- “Tongues for personal benefits and Tongues for public benefits (Ministry)”. Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 14 to rightly divide the two and not to discredit tongues.
Mystery of the Holy of Holies:
According to a Jewish Historical account, every time the High Priest in the Old Testament went into the Holy of Holies He communicated to God in a supernatural language. The High Priest was not able to communicate in that way after He came out of the Holy of Holies. Ahaa I think I have your attention now!
When Jesus died, the veil before the Holy of Holies was torn open so that we can access the Holy of Holies through salvation and that is where you can communicate with God supernaturally. The Language of God in the Holy of Holies is the prophetic picture of speaking in tongues available to every blood-washed saint under the new covenant.
Mystery of Jesus’ Words:
People who speak against Tongues believe that Jesus didn’t mention about Tongues but He did. Jesus talked about the Born-again experience to Nicodemus in John 3. He went onto talk about the Wind which you cannot see and its sound. The Greek Word for Spirit and wind in the Bible is the same-“Pnema”. The Greek word for sound mentioned here is “phonen or phonos “ which means “a language not just a sound”. Jesus is carving that everyone who is born again can receive the Wind (Holy Spirit) and sound (Speaking in supernatural languages) will be the “initial” evidence. (Death blow!)
The “wind” blows where it wants to and you hear the “sound” of it, but you don’t know where the wind comes from or where it is going. It is the same with every person who is born from the Spirit. John 3:8(NCV)
Moreover Jesus proclaimed that everyone who believes, meaning every Christian will have these signs following- Tongues, healing the sick and casting out demons. Scholars who say that this text in Mark 16 is not part of the Bible are in a dangerous clash with God because these verses agree with the other verses in the Bible.
Why Tongues is important?:
- Every time you pray in tongues you are praying in the perfect will of God. (Most prayers most Christians pray have nothing to do with God and His Word!)
- The Bible says that when we pray in tongues we are edifying ourselves. The word equivalent to edify in our present day language will be “Charge”. When you pray in tongues you are charged spiritually similar to a mobile phone being charged.
Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies(Charges) themselves.1 Corinthians 14:4(NIV) (Emphasis mine)
- Tongues is important because the Bible says we don’t know what to pray for. Read the below verse carefully it doesn’t say we don’t “how to” but “what to”. We know “”how to but not “what to” all the time because of our limited knowledge. Holy Spirit knows everything and He will help us pray for the “what to”s we don’t know.
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For “we do not know what we should pray for” as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26(NKJV)
- You can pray for the unknown in unknown tongues. Holy Spirit can use you to pray for someone who is in danger through tongues. If you have a deep prayer life, you can save your loved ones from dangers by praying in tongues as the Holy Spirit leads.
- The devil doesn’t understand tongues and that makes it a better way to pray. And that’s the very reason the devil fights tongues much.
- Tongues is the gateway that leads into the other gifts of the Holy Spirit because every time you pray in tongues you believe that those words are from the Holy Spirit and speak out in faith. Your faith is put into practice by tongues and you will grow to a place to heal the sick and cast out demons. (Now you know why God gave tongues first)
- Other benefits: Supernatural way of communicating or relating with God (why miss it), to Magnify and thank God and above all increases your sensitivity to God’s voice.
Tapping into the deeper realm of Tongues:
Most Spirit-filled Christians don’t pray much in tongues. It is not easy to pray much in tongues because your mind doesn’t understand anything and the devil fights you. The Old-time Pentecostals wait for God’s power to manifest and then pray in tongues but the truth is we can pray in tongues at our own will. But most Christians have missed the mark by not pressing in deeper by “praying for long hours in tongues” to get “in the Spirit” where tongues flows out of you and you step into a different realm. Pressing in deeper will also unveil your future and you can receive directions from God to finish the works assigned to you. Why live normal, when you can activate adventures in the Spirit by praying long in tongues?
It is time to press in deeper in the Spirit. Don’t let the devil and humans rob you of what God has made available. Go deeper!
I thank God that I speak in tongues more than “all” of you-Apostle Paul
- Redigging the Pentecostal Experience
- Who is your Hero?